Interested in opening a small food business? We’re here to help! At Uptown Kitchen, we will walk you through the planning stages, connect you to the appropriate resources and assist with licensing process.
Using Uptown Kitchen as your Production facility:
- Call, Email, Visit our space!
- Fill out a Tenant Application and Confidentiality Agreement
- Return the application to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at our office (You will be contacted within 5 business days regarding your application)
- Upon acceptance you will receive your client packet
- Kitchen Use Agreement
- Operating Manual
- Resource List
- Sign paperwork and go through orientation with the Kitchen Manager
- Pay $160 security and key deposit (refundable)
- Provide verification of ServSafe Certification (or similar) and Insurance*
- Obtain the proper food license* and verify proper labeling and packaging
- Schedule time and get started!
For everyday use, you do not need Sanitation Certification, a Food License or Insurance. You simply need to read and sign the Kitchen Use Agreement and a statement that you will not sell any of the products made in the kitchen.
* A license from the Kent County Health Department and/or the Michigan Department of Agriculture (MDARD) is required to operate as a food establishment. Which license you need depends on how you will sell your product. You can find this information online at the Kent County
websites. You will also need a liability insurance policy listing for $1 million dollars, $2 million aggregate, with Uptown Kitchen listed as the additional insured (Most wholesalers and retailers you do business with will also require this). Please call 616-776-2655 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.